Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Holy Week, how do we celebrate it?

Every once in a year, a whole week is designated to be holy to commemorate the day when Jesus Christ sacrificed His life to free us from our sins. It starts on Palm Sunday and ends on Black Saturday. At present, Filipinos, especially the Catholics, have their own unique way of celebrating Holy Week. Some have themselves hang on the cross while other hurt themselves until blood drip from their skins.

I have once witnessed a practice like this. Number of barefooted guys walked the roadside with their faces covered, except their eyes, while slamming into their back a bundle of nails and needles. What I witnessed neither shocked me nor won pity from my heart. I don’t know the reason but maybe I do not see the sincerity in their hearts.

Some spend the whole day and night for prayers. Some spend their Holy Week vacations on the beaches or provinces. Some are just contented to stay home, like me.

No matter how each and everyone celebrate Holy Week, I wish that we’ll be able to reminisce Jesus Christ’s love for all of us. I hope that it will be spent to activities that is worthy in the eyes of God. I hope that the true spirit of Holy Week be observed especially on Good Friday.

1 comment:

Liz said...

kami rin we just stay at home during holy week. maundy thursday visita iglesia lang then good friday, sa bahay lang talaga.

by the way, i have a tag for you, I wish I were Alphabet, and i hope you're up to it ^-^. please visit my page. take care.